Monday, July 29, 2013

Wherever You Go, Go With All of Your Heart...

When I fell in love with Casey I made a promise that I would follow him anywhere. Nothing else mattered, just that we were always together. When we made our first big move from Dallas to Austin in 2003, I was scared. I was afraid of the unknown but at the same time, excited for the new adventures.

We spent the first few years bouncing around from different areas all around Austin. By 2007, we found the place we wanted to be and made it happen. We spent the next few years planting roots. Together we made lifelong friends and watched as our children formed lasting bonds with other children. We talked about our future and made plans to stay in the area so that our boys could graduate with their friends. We always said that once they entered High School we would stay put, no matter what.
We dreamed of buying land somewhere around Austin and building a house. One that our grandchildren would visit while they grow up. A house where Casey and I would grow old together. 

In January my world came crashing down around me. Casey warned me that something big was going down at work. I listened but thought to myself it couldn't be anything to major. We were chatting on IM when he said, "California or New York?" My reply was California. It seemed like forever before he returned. When he finally returned he sent a single reply that read......
New York.

I saw it. It registered. I just didn't believe it. I thought there was no way we were going to uproot our family and move halfway across the United States. We would find a way to stay. Casey would find another position within Google that would keep him us in Austin. If not, he would find another job with a company just as good. Just as good as Google.

When we had a family meeting and told the kids what was happening emotions were high. We discussed our options and tried to be as honest with the kids as we could.
I worried the most about Venus. He was already in high school and seemed to really enjoy it. I was afraid that he would be devastated with the idea of moving, but he wasn't... he was thrilled. He never was a fan of Texas. He even talked about eventually ending up in New York, or London.

Sequel wasn't so thrilled. He was pretty upset with the thought of leaving his friends behind. I didn't blame him. I was pretty upset about leaving my friends too.

Pacey and Chase reacted the same way. They were sad to leave their friends, but happy to move somewhere else. As long as daddy stayed with Google, they would be fine. What a powerful word. Google.

Over the next couple of months I went through a lot of stages.

I denied that this was really happening. This couldn't really happen. Things would work out in the end and we would find a way to stay.

I got angry. I was pissed at Google for not caring about the impact this had on our lives. I was pissed that there weren't more options. I was mad at the world. How unfair.

I became depressed. I was sad for our kids. I was sad for us. I didn't want to sell the house we worked so hard on. The house that I painted and made our own. I didn't want to leave behind the swing set that our kids played on. The swing set that Joelie played on before she could walk or talk. I didn't want to find a new home for our dogs. Our kids loved those dogs. I didn't want to leave my BFF, Andrea behind. I just found her. I didn't want to move away from family... when would I see them again? I cried. For days, maybe weeks.

At some point I accepted that this was really happening. I found reasons to be excited and I held on to them with all my might.
We sold our house. We sold the swing set. We got rid of things that we didn't need to take. We found the dogs a new home. The kids finished school. We spent the last few days in Texas with friends and family. We shed tears and said our goodbyes. We mourned.
And... we found a new place to live... in Wayne NJ.





No comments:

Post a Comment